Friday, June 28, 2013

Crash Site


For this piece, I wanted to do something big, bigger than what I usually do. Then I had this idea of a giant space ship crashing on a planet. I started to gather references and then made thumbnails of several different choices of compositions. In the end, I chose this composition because it shows how big the space ship is.

These are some step-by-step process of creating this concept:


I added a river because the composition felt too empty and boring. But I had to be careful with the flow of the river so it didn't just lead the viewers' eyes immediately off the page.


Later, I had to add a lake to balance the right-heavy composition.


After some consideration, I decided to cut the lake and added birds instead. The lake stole too much focus from the main subject of the painting: the ship.


Several thumbnails and ship concepts I made before starting.


Some references I had when coming up with the concept. I took a lot of inspirations from John Berkey and Bungie's Destiny.

No comments: